How to Become a Geologist? Here’s How!
January 11, 2018
Many people have their own dream to become a master in certain fields. They will do anything to achieve it no matter how hard to get it. There are many fields you can take like geologist, doctor, and others.
If you are interested to become a geologist, you need to know about how to achieve it, right? Before going to talk about it, you need to know about its tasks and duties first. It is to ensure that you take the right field to master.
What Is a Geologist?
Well, before talking about its tasks and duties, you need to know first about the meaning of its job. Usually, it studies the structure, composition, and nature of the earth. It is to locate the minerals and materials as well as to increase scientific about the knowledge of the earth. They also advise on civil engineering projects, the rehabilitation of land after any mining, on environmental protection, and on the extraction of minerals.
Tasks and Duties of a Geologist
In general, a geologist does:
- Explore a specific area to determine its types of minerals or rocks and its structure.
- Study rock samples, cuttings, and cores.
- Study sampling and geostatistics theory
- Study the fossilized like date and forms rock strata
- Study nature as well as the effects of natural events like volcanic hazards, earthquakes, glaciations, sedimentation, and erosion.
- Manage and locate ground resources, also investigate the land salinity and groundwater contamination
- Undertake geochemical sampling of stream soils and sediment
- And more
Personal Requirements of a Geologist
There are some requirements you need to fulfill if you like to become a geologist. DO you want to know what the requirements are? Here we go!
- Enjoy scientific and technical activities
- Willing to use for safety requirements
- Be able to work as a part or even independently
- Be able to prepare accurate reports and records
- Be able to solve any physical demands of the job
- Need to prepare for working outdoors on irregular schedules as well as in a range of any environments
While you would like to become a geologist, you need to complete a certain degree. What is that? You can become a geologist if you are completing a degree in applied science or science. It is all with the major in earth or geophysics sciences, applied geology, geosciences, and geology.
Besides it, you should gain the Senior Secondary Certificate of Education, too. Then, you need to prerequisite subjects on earth and environmental science, chemistry, mathematics, and English, when biology and chemistry are required too.
You also need to know that every university has different prerequisites. Some offer flexible requirements while some are not. To get further information, you need to contact your own university.
Those are slight information about what you have known about being a geologist. Let’s planning your future to be better if you would like to be a geologist and study nature for more.